With vast experience across all aspects of residential and commercial real estate, the Van Metre Companies has been serving the local Greater Washington DC area for more than 65 years. At the helm is a leadership team comprised of our founder’s heirs and business colleagues who worked alongside him for many years. Working closely with senior managers across all Van Metre business lines, this management team ensures optimal results for our employees, our investors, and the residents of our hometown!
Commitment That Endures
In 1955, Albert G. Van Metre began a business endeavor that would evolve into a powerful enterprise. From the start, his meticulous nature and uncompromising ideals set him apart from other local developers, and his name soon became synonymous with quality and craftsmanship. In the decades he ran the company, he earned a reputation as a shrewd businessman and a generous benefactor — a reputation we strive to uphold every day.
The company is founded by Albert G. Van Metre who partners with B.B. Wills to build the first Van Metre Homes in Burke, Virginia.
The company ventures into investment properties with the construction and delivery of Fairfax Square Apartments.
Van Metre takes on a management role at the Saratoga Shopping Center, built by Guy Beatty, and begins its commercial business.
In its first large scale philanthropy effort, Van Metre organizes the Hospice Cup regatta. Now an annual tradition, it is the nation’s largest charity sailing regatta.
Van Metre enters into a joint venture with Intercoastal Mortgage Company.
In gratitude for the excellent treatment his son received at Children’s Hospital, Van Metre CEO Rick Rabil launches the annual Van Metre 5-Mile Run, an event that has garnered millions of dollars for Children’s Hospital.
Van Metre forms a joint venture with Walker/Dominion Title LLC, marking the official founding of Van Metre Financial.
Raspberry Falls, the first of many award-winning Van Metre golf courses, opens just moments from Leesburg, Virginia.
Beau Van Metre and Alison Van Metre Paley establish the Van Metre Family Foundation, Inc. benefiting education, the arts, veterans, people living in poverty, and animal welfare.
Owners created the Van Metre Companies Foundation in order to assist local nonprofits focused on needy children and teens, the homeless, as well as local animal shelters.
Van Metre Design+Build is established to help homeowners enlarge and customize their Van Metre homes.
Albert G. (Beau) Van Metre Jr. has been involved in the overall operations of the Company since he first joined the company in 1963. In 2002, he was appointed Vice Chairman of the Company. He was promoted to Chairman and appointed as a Trustee for the Van Metre Family Trusts in 2008. Beau is involved in many activities and charitable endeavors including Capital Caring and Children’s National Medical Center. He resides in The Plains, Virginia and is married to Deadria Van Metre. They have five children.
Richard J. Rabil joined The Van Metre Companies as comptroller and was promoted to VP of Finance that same year. He became Executive Vice President in 1987, and was promoted to President of the Van Metre Companies in 1991, a position he held until 2008, when he became Chairman, President and CEO. Prior to joining Van Metre, Richard was a CPA at Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co. in Washington, D.C. (KPMG) from 1978 to 1984.
Julie van der Vate joined the Van Metre Companies in 1996. Julie is a licensed Certified Public Accountant in the state of Virginia and earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from George Mason University. She is responsible for all financing, liquidity, financial accounting, reporting, and modeling, income taxes, human resources, and risk management. Prior to joining Van Metre, Julie worked in public accounting specializing in real estate taxation. Julie established and previously served as the first President of the Van Metre Companies Foundation, as well as helped establish and sat on the Board of Van Metre’s Women’s Leadership group.
Brian Davidson started working with Van Metre Homes as an entry-level accountant right out of college, and he takes great pride in the extensive experience he has gained as a “lifer” at the Van Metre Companies. With over 31 years' experience in the Washington, DC housing market, Brian is a member of various homebuilder associations in Virginia. He is the current Northern Virginia Building Industry Association (NVBIA) President, a current board member for the Home Builders Association of Virginia and a Life Director for HomeAid Northern Virginia.
Mike Barrett joined the Van Metre Companies in 2004 and oversees the Van Metre apartment portfolio, located in Northern Virginia, Maryland, Washington, DC and Orlando, Florida. Mike brings 19 years of multifamily experience to Van Metre. Prior to joining Van Metre, he worked for Charles E. Smith as Director of Financial Reporting and Asset Management. Mike is a member of Property Management Association and National Multifamily Housing Council.
Roy Barnett boasts 38 years of experience in all aspects of real estate acquisition, development, and construction. In the 21 years Roy has been with Van Metre, he has been involved with the master planning of the mixed-use communities of Broadlands, Stone Ridge and Lansdowne. He is a licensed general contractor in Virginia and holds professional surveyor and/or engineering design licenses in four states. Before joining Van Metre, Roy was an adjunct instructor in surveying and suburban development at Northern Virginia Community College, where he conducted seminars in storm water hydrology/hydraulics related to land planning and design.
Juan Estrada joined the Van Metre Companies in 2005, and oversees the Legal and Inspector General Departments. He is a member of various legal associations in the Washington metropolitan area, and serves as Vice Chairman of the Board of non-profit CentroNía. Prior to joining the Van Metre Companies, Juan worked for the Covington & Burling LLP firm where he practiced commercial real estate and corporate law.
Kevin Rabil joined Van Metre in 2012, and oversees the New Homes team. Prior to joining Van Metre, Kevin worked as a CPA for Ernst & Young. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, where he received his masters in accounting.
Glen Skutnik joined the Van Metre Companies in 2013 and brings over 16 years of industry experience. As the Executive Vice President he oversees the Residential and Commercial Operations for the Investment Properties Division along with the Marketing and Facilities Departments. Additionally, he serves as the President of the Van Metre Companies Foundation, which is a committee responsible for all philanthropic efforts of the organization. His market experience is in Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia, Florida and New Jersey.
Glen is a Certified Property Manager (CPM), Accredited Residential Manager (ARM), Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP) and Specialist in Housing Credit Management (SHCM). He also holds the Executive Accredited Management Organization (AMO) designation for Van Metre Companies. He sat on the Executive Council for The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) in Northern, VA, where he served for several years.
The Van Metre Companies is owned and operated by a tight-knit cadre of individuals who are deeply committed to preserving the integrity of the Van Metre name. Together, these three trustees (Albert G. [Beau] Van Metre Jr., Alison Van Metre Paley, and Everett Hoeg) contribute to the strategic direction and overall performance of the business lines.
- 2020 Washington Post — #2 Top Workplace (Large Company Category)
- 2020 National Apartment Association’s Best Places to Work
- 2020 Washington Business Journal - #3 Best Places to Work
- 2020 Virginia Businesses Best Places to Work
- 2019 Washington Post —Top Workplace
- ARLINGTON TRANSPORTATION PARTNERS PLATINUM CHAMPION - PARK GEORGETOWN
- 2018 SATISFACTS RESIDENT SATISFACTION AWARDS
- Van Metre Properties receiving honors: Barrington Park, Broadlands Apartments, Columbia Uptown, Fairfax Square, Kensington Place, Middletown Valley, Northlake Park, Park Georgetown, Saratoga Square, The Asher, The Aspen, The Mission, Tuscarora Creek and Woodland Park
- J TURNER RESEARCH ELITE 1% ORA™ POWER RANKINGS
- Saratoga Square - Top 100, Tuscarora Creek, Kensington Place and Middletown Valley
- 2018 Washington Business Journal—Corporate Philanthropy Award three years in a row
- 2018 PACE AWARDS
- First Place Community: Fairfax Square Apartments
- Distinguished Communities: Columbia Uptown, The Mission, Broadlands, Dulles Glen, Kensington Place, The Asher, Woodland Park
- 2018 Washington Post —Top Workplace
- 2018 Washington Business Journal—Family Owned Business Award Honoree
- 2018 NVBIA—Women In The Building Industry Trailblazer Award
- 2017 Washington Post—Top Workplace
- 2017 Washington Post Business Journal—Best Places to Work
- 2017 Van Metre Homes: Best of Suburbia by Posh Seven Magazine
- 2016 Healthiest Company Awards by Washington SmartCEO
- 2016 Developer Of The Year By Builder and Developer Magazine
- Van Metre Homes has won BEST BUILDER by Posh Seven Magazine’s Best of Suburbia awards four years in a row
- Van Metre makes the 2015 Top Rated Workplaces in DC
- 2015 NVBIA Builder/Developer of the Year
- 2015 Washington Business Journal—Corporate Philanthropy Award
- 2015 Washington Business Journal—Healthiest Employees
- 2014 Avid Benchmark Award
- 2014 Washington Business Journal Corporate Philanthropists
- Mid-size Companies (100-999 Employees)
- #7 Total Giving Dollars
- #11 Total Volunteer Hours
- Come Home National Awards
- Nationals 2014 Awards
- Nationals 2013 Awards
- Nationals 2012 Awards
- Nationals 2010 Awards
- Nationals 2006 Awards
- Great American Living Awards
- GALA 2018 Winners
- GALA 2018 Awards of Merit
- GALA 2017 Winners
- GALA 2013 Winners
- GALA 2013 Awards of Merit
- GALA 2012 Winners
- GALA 2012 Awards of Merit
- GALA 2011 Winners
- GALA 2010 Winners
- GALA 2009 Winners
- 2013 Pace Honorees
- 2013 Avid Service Award Winner—Sales Rep Winner
- MNCBIA 2013 PROS Awards